DIY Natural Sanitiser
With hand sanitiser being so hard to get right now is the time to make your own. Not only can you make as much as you like, it is made from essential oils and not harsh chemicals and has a dash of vitamin E to keep your hands soft.
- 5-10 drops lavender essential oil
- 30 drops tea tree essential oil (both can be found in most heath shops and some pharmacies)
- 100 ml high-proof vodka (most vodka is about 37% but 60% is ideal) or you can use ethanol or rubbing alcohol
- 35ml pure aloe vera gel (or vinegar if you want to make a spray)
- ¼ teaspoon Vitamin E oil (this will help soften hands!)
- Add essential oils and Vitamin E oil to a small glass bowl or container and mix.
- Add alcohol to the oils and mix again.
- Add this mixture to the aloe vera gel and mix well.
- Shake gently before each use. (Sanitizer should last several months with the addition of Vitamin E and alcohol to help preserve.)
Transfer the hand sanitiser to small pump bottles, try to use coloured bottles so that the essentials oils are not exposed to light.
It should make enough for several small bottles.
Tips and warnings
Other oils that have antibacterial properties are rosemary, sage, sandalwood, or peppermint.
Please take care when handing essential oils as they are very concentrated. Also like anything they may cause an allergic reaction so make sure you patch test first.